Since visiting Italy, I’ve been in love with the sweet, juicy goodness of tomatos and use them an awful lot in my cooking (yay for healthyl red foods!)
I love to make this simple recipe for my family and friends on hot Summer afternoons or evenings. Heck I’ll even have it for breakfast in Winter, I love it that much.
It’s really easy, and perfect on toast, cruskets or when paired with toasted bread that’s a few days old.
- 2x large tomatoes (or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- good sprinkling of pepper
- 5 basil leaves
- bread to serve
- extra olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Dice the red onion up into really small pieces (or whizz with a hand blender)
- Dice the tomatoes into 1/5cm cubes
- Mix diced onion and tomatoes with the crushed garlic, olive oil and pepper
- Break the basil leaves up into small (1cm) pieces and add to the tomato mixture
- Slice the bread into thin slices (1/2cm thick – makes it super crispy). Place on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil
- Heat your oven to 200degrees C on grill and toast the bread for 2 minutes each side (or put into a toaster!)
- Drizzle toasty bread with balsamic vinegar
- Serve, eat, enjoy, lick the bowl so you don’t miss any.