I say dairy free, and it is, minus the icing (sorry!). This is a favourite of my dad’s that I have been baking for him for over half of my life!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 walnuts, chopped
Cream cheese icing:
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- Extra walnuts, to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease your cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs until thick then stir in the oil.
- Add the sugar to the egg mixture and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in as well. Combine well with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the grated carrots and walnuts and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy then beat in the icing sugar and lemon rind.
- Spread over the cake and decorate with walnuts.