This has got to be the most delicious (and not to mention healthy!) salad I’ve ever eaten. The mixture of flavours and textures makes every mouthful exciting and different. It’s perfect as a meal on its own or as an accompaniment to a BBQ. Did I mention that it’s gluten free!
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium fresh beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups seeds and nuts – use a mixture of peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, sunflower, pumpkins and sesame seeds
- 25g chilled butter
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- Salt + freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Toss together the first 8 ingredients, setting aside half the coriander leaves for garnish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the first measure of brown sugar, salt, cumin, coriander and chilli powder.
- Bake the nuts and seeds in the oven for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with the sugar and spice mix.
- Grate the butter over the top and bake for 10 minutes more, stirring often. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the vinegar, remaining sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil together well.
- To serve, toss the vinaigrette and two-thirds of the nut mixture with the chickpeas and vegetables. Garnish with the remaining nuts and coriander leaves.