Comfort food gets a big tick from me, and easy to make comfort food earns itself another big tick. This quiche is your simple, no frills, know what you’re gonna get kinda quiche. But on a lazy Sunday night, that’s exactly what I feel like.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 125g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp iced water
- 20 cherry tomatoes (or 2 normal sized tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8-10 olives
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease a loose-bottomed tart tin and line the base with baking paper.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and butter into a food processor and process in short bursts until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and iced water. Process until the dough just comes together. Keep the egg whites for use in the quiche filling.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and gently bring together with your hands to form a ball. Flatten slightly (into the shape of a disc) and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or until ready to use. Cut up the onions and mushrooms and grate the cheese while you’re waiting.
- Roll pastry out on a lightly floured board to 3mm thick and use to line the base and sides of your prepared tart tin, trimming the edges.
- To roast tomatoes, cut them in half (or slice if large tomatoes) and place on a baking tray cup side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and paper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, mix the mustard through the cheese and sprinkle over the pastry base.
- Top with the onion, mushrooms, sliced olives and chopped parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the 6 eggs plus 3 egg whites left over from the pastry, and cream until well combined and gently pour into the pastry case to about 2mm below the rim.
- Bake for 40, until egg mixture is set and the top of the quiche is golden.
- Use a teaspoon to make a hole in the golden top and gently press the roasted tomatoes into the top of the quiche and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad and warm bread.