Sunday afternoons are my favourite time to bake. I’m relaxed from the weekend just been and preparing myself for the work week ahead. This banana bread recipe is simple to prepare and fills the house with a fresh, sweet, cakey smell.
My favourite way to eat it is lightly toasting a slice and spreading over a bit of butter. Paired with the weekend paper and a coffee, this sweet, soft, butter-soaked piece of goodness makes for a chilled Sunday afternoon.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 50g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base and 2 sides of a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, butter and bananas until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with either a chocolate icing, dusted with icing sugar, or lightly toasted and buttered. mmmmm