This is amazing. Sweet, sticky, crumbly, and incredibly more-ish, this Coconut Caramel slice is a recipe I always turn to when needing to provide morning tea at work or dessert to take to a friends BBQ.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 395g (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 60g butter, melted, extra
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup caster sugar, extra
- 2 cups desiccated coconut, extra
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease your slice pan and line the base and two opposite sides with baking paper.
- Combine sifted flours, coconut, caster sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared pan.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, golden syrup, brown sugar and extra butter in a medium bowl. Spread mixture evenly over base.
- Combine the eggs, extra sugar and extra coconut in a medium bowl and sprinkle evenly over caramel filling.
- Cook for further 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool in pan.